Hero Image

Asbestos Claims

Asbestosis government help and benefits


Asbestosis government help and benefits

There are a number of state benefits available to people suffering from asbestos-related diseases such as asbestosis. Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit provides weekly payments to people who are suffering from specific diseases contracted in the course of certain types of employment.

These are referred to as 'prescribed diseases' and are listed in regulations issued by the Secretary of State. Several of these prescribed diseases relate to asbestos exposure: Mesothelioma, Pneumoconiosis, Asbestosis, asbestos related lung cancer and diffuse pleural thickening.

You can get more information by calling the Department for Work and Pensions Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882 200. Benefit entitlement starts from the date you contacted the DWP, not the date you contracted the disease or got a diagnosis, so it's important to call them straight away. This benefit is not paid if you were self-employed in the work that led to the asbestos exposure.

You may also be entitled to Disability Living Allowance if you need assistance with personal care or getting around. If you were in the armed forces when you contracted asbestosis, you may be able to get help through the War Pensions Agency by contacting the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency on 0800 169 22 77.

The Citizens Advice Bureau is also a good source of information and national cancer charities such as MacMillan can give both advice and practical support to individuals and their families.

Who we work with

Our Accreditations