Hero Image

Hearing Loss & Industrial Deafness Claims

Industrial deafness and tinnitus government help and benefits


Industrial deafness and tinnitus government help and benefits

There are a number of state benefits available to people suffering from industrial deafness or tinnitus if it was caused by conditions at work. Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) provides for payment of weekly benefits to people who are suffering from certain diseases contracted in the course of different types of employment.

These diseases are referred to as 'prescribed diseases' and are listed in regulations issued by the Secretary of State. The scheme covers more than 70 illnesses and includes deafness, but you can’t claim IIDB if you were self-employed.

You can get more information about what you may be entitled to and how to claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882 200 or visiting the gov.uk website.

Benefit entitlement starts from the date you contacted the DWP, not the date you contracted the disease or got a diagnosis, so it's important not to delay calling them.

National charities such as Action on Hearing Loss (the new name for the RNID) and Hearing Link aim to help people with tinnitus or hearing loss, irrespective of how it was caused. The Hearing Link website has a very useful list of the various organisations throughout the UK who can provide information and support.

Who we work with

Our Accreditations