Hero Image

Cerebral Palsy Claims

James's Story

Cerebral palsy government help and benefits


Cerebral palsy government help and benefits

Help is available for disabled people with cerebral palsy and their carers from both national and local government. The local council has a duty under the Children Act 1989 to provide services such as holiday play schemes, adaptations and financial help with travel costs for hospital visits.

Some of these support services are means-tested. Contact the social services team at your local council, who will arrange a visit by a social worker to assess if you qualify for any of these benefits.

Benefits and support from national government include carer's allowance which is payable to anyone spending at least 35 hours per week caring for a disabled person in receipt of qualifying benefits. Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is payable if your child is 15 or under. DLA is not means-tested and has two parts: care and mobility.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) replaces Disability Living Allowance for new claimants ages 16 to 64. PIP is also not means-tested. It also has two elements: a daily living and a mobility component.

Your local Jobcentre Plus will be able to give you more information about government benefits and support. Disability Rights UK has a number of factsheets about benefits. National charities such as Scope can provide advice and guidance (they have a useful online tool to calculate what benefits you may be entitled to) and the Gov.UK website contains information about support for disabled children.

Who we work with

Our Accreditations