Hero Image

Special Educational Needs Law

Finlay's Story

What does the Children and Families Act 2014 mean for my child


What does the Children and Families Act 2014 mean for my child?

If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs they should be transferred to an Education, Health and Care plan by 1 April 2018. There is a specific process that this transfer must follow. We are receiving a lot of enquiries from across England as this process is not always being carried out as it should. If you think you are affected do contact us to discuss this in further detail.

If your child has never had additional help or support at school but you believe they need it then they may be entitled to an Education, Health and Care plan. This is a legal document that should thoroughly describe your child, detail the support needed to meet their special educational needs and the educational placement that is suitable for them. It must include not only education information but also any health and social care needs and support.

There are several new provisions brought in by this Act, including the right to a plan up to 25 years of age where a Statement previously only went up to 19 years of age, introduction of personal budgets in education and a real focus on the views and wishes of the child/young person and their family being taken into account.

Who we work with

Our Accreditations