Hero Image

Carbon Monoxide Posioning Compensation Claims

if I have a case about carbon monoxide poisoning


if I have a case about carbon monoxide poisoning

Whether you have a case depends on where and how the carbon monoxide poisoning occurred: at home or at work.

Building regulations in England and Wales insist that carbon monoxide detectors are fitted in rooms with solid fuel appliances and in Scotland it’s a legal requirement for carbon monoxide alarms to be fitted when a new or replacement appliance using any type of fuel is installed.

If you are a tenant, your landlord is now legally obliged to fit a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance or any other identified 'high risk' location.

At work, employers have a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act to ensure that their staff are protected from any risks in the workplace. Since carbon monoxide poisoning can only result from poor maintenance and inspection standards or inadequate provision of personal protective equipment (PPE) your illness is therefore likely to be due to employer negligence.

If this can be proven, you can make a claim for carbon monoxide poisoning. The law protects those who come forward to make a claim, so you should not be put off doing so for fear of losing your job. If your employer has breached their duty of care and you have suffered as a result, you are entitled to a pay-out.

If you think you've been affected you should contact your GP immediately. Only then should you contact a specialist industrial injury solicitor to discuss if you have a good case.

Who we work with

Our Accreditations