Hero Image

Children's Trespassing Accident Claims

How do I make a claim about an accident whilst trespassing


How do I make a claim about an accident whilst trespassing

If you think you have a case for making a claim contact Access Legal’s specialist lawyers who can give you initial advice about the laws on trespassing on private property, usually without any cost or obligation to use our services.

Anyone under 18 cannot make a claim themselves and although they are the client, an adult (usually a relative) must act as their litigation friend. Their role is to instruct the solicitor and sign legal documents on behalf of the child.

Access Legal will investigate the causes and circumstances of the accident and work with medical experts to establish your child’s immediate needs and fund any medical treatment by interim payments from the other side. This also allows us to build a case that accurately values the cost of any current and future support your child might require, which could be life-long and expensive if their injuries are severe.

You should report the accident to someone in authority as soon as possible, although it is likely that the emergency services may be involved. Any civil claim is entirely separate from a possible criminal action. Children under 10 can’t be charged with any crime but those between 10 and 17, although treated differently from adults, can be arrested and taken to court.

If successful, an award is paid into the Court Funds Office, where it is held until the child reaches the age of 18. The money, plus interest, is then released, however it is possible to ask the judge to allow some of the remuneration to be paid straight away.

Who we work with

Our Accreditations