Children's Road Accident Claims

government help and benefits for a road traffic accident RTA


government help and benefits for a road traffic accident (RTA)

Government help and benefits are available if your child has been injured in a road traffic accident as a passenger but, unlike any damages award which is paid to the child, such assistance will usually be given to the parents directly. Although a parent deemed responsible for causing the accident will be unable to act as a litigation friend on the injured child’s behalf, this will have no bearing on entitlement to government support and benefits.

If your child was aged between 16 and 18 when the accident happened and has a long-term health condition or disability that means they cannot live independently, it may be possible to claim Personal Independence Payment.

If they were under 16 at the time of the accident and require more care or supervision than other children their age because of their injuries, it may be possible to claim Disability Living Allowance.

Government benefits and support will either be means-tested or based on the parents’ national Insurance contributions and an assessment of the child’s injuries and needs. To find out exactly what you are entitled to, visit your local Jobcentre Plus. Other useful sources of help and information include the Citizens Advice Bureau. More details of local and central government support for parents of disabled children can be found on the Gov.UK website. Charities such as Scope can also provide useful information.

Who we work with

Our Accreditations