We promise that someone will get back to you to talk through your situation and explain how we can help. You can expect to hear back from us within two working hours and certainly no later than 10 am on the next working day.
Sorry, there are a few problems with the information you have entered. Please correct these before continuing.
Your submission has been received. We'll be in touch soon.
1. Shoosmiths LLP (“Shoosmiths”) is registered with the UK Information Commissioner as a Data Controller (registration number: Z3279355).
2. Shoosmiths and Access Legal are trading names of Shoosmiths LLP.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW WE USE IT
6. We may use your personal data (as defined by the Data Protection Act 1998) for the purpose of client identity verification, the provision of any of our services, the administration of files and records, legal and regulatory compliance and the marketing and promotion of our services, as well as informing you of relevant news and legal developments. We may ask you to provide additional information for marketing and research purposes - see section headed Marketing below. The information will be held in hard copy and electronic form.
7. Our work for you may require us to provide information to third parties such as expert witnesses and other professional advisers. Any third party to whom we disclose information about you will be under an obligation to keep your information secure and not to use it for any purpose other than that for which it was disclosed. We may also disclose your personal data to third parties from whom we are buying a business/assets or to whom we are selling some or all of our business/assets as part of any due diligence process. Your personal data may subsequently be transferred to such third parties.
8. We hold information about individuals who work for our business clients, suppliers, intermediaries, other law firms and people we deal with in our business including business contacts of our employees and partners. If you contact us we will ask you to provide us with your contact information and information about you relevant to dealing with your enquiry. We may also ask you to provide additional information for marketing and research purposes - see section headed Marketing below.
9. If you post a comment on our website or contact us through our website the information you provide will be recorded and stored.
Where we contact you on behalf of our clients
10. When we contact you on behalf of our clients, for example to recover monies due to our clients, we will hold information about you supplied to us by our clients and information you provide to us when we contact you. We may also be required to disclose that information to third parties e.g. court officials or bailiffs but only to the extent authorised by law.
Sensitive Personal Data
11. Certain sensitive information you provide to us about yourself including information about your physical or mental health is classified as Sensitive Personal Data. We will take special care to ensure that we only use or disclose Sensitive Personal Data with your consent or within the specific circumstances permitted by law for example where necessary to comply with our legal obligations or where required for legal proceedings.
Information you provide to us about third parties
12. If you give us information about another person, in doing so you confirm that they have given you permission to provide it to us to be able to process their personal data (including any sensitive personal data) and also that you have told them who we are and what we will use their data for, as set out in this notice.
13. From time to time we may supplement the personal data collected from you with information from publicly available sources, such as information to validate your address or to perform a credit check. This helps us maintain the accuracy of your personal information and improve our service offerings.
Credit and Debit card information
14. Where you make payment to us by credit or debit card we will use the payment card information only for the purpose of processing that specific transaction.
15. All payment information is handled using encrypted technology and we are compliant with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS).
16. No credit or debit card details are stored once your payment has been processed and the transaction is completed.
17. Some of the telephone calls we make and receive are recorded for training and monitoring purposes. We will always try and tell you in advance when a call is being recorded but this may not always be possible for technical reasons.
18. We sometimes outsource telephone call answering services, particularly during times of high demand or outside of our normal opening hours. Your calls will still be treated as confidential. If you object to this, please contact our Head of Client Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
19. If you visit one of our offices your image may be recorded on CCTV We do not use hidden CCTV cameras. We use those images only for security purposes.
WHAT DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION FOR?
21. We may additionally use your personal data to:
22. You can opt-out of receiving promotional or marketing information from us at any time by. contacting the Database Executive in writing at Shoosmiths LLP, Russell House, 1550 Parkway, Solent Business Park, Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire, PO15 7AG, by telephone 0370 0866772 or by email to email@example.com.
23. When your contact details are on our database, we will try to contact you at the address we hold for you from time to time to verify the accuracy of the information we hold and the types of information you want to receive from us.
24. Your information will not be passed to any third party for marketing purposes.
OTHER INFORMATION WE COLLECT
25. In general, you can visit our Websites without telling us who you are or submitting personal information. However, certain information is automatically collected, including the IP (internet protocol) addresses of all visitors to the Website and other related user information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on the Website. We use this information to help us understand the Website activity, and to monitor and improve the Website.
28. We monitor customer traffic on an aggregate basis using cookies and code, which is embedded, in the site. This provides statistical information about visits to pages on the site, the duration of individual page view, paths taken by visitors through the site, data on visitors screen settings and other general information.
INFORMATION WE SHARE
30. You should be aware that when we contact you at the request of one of our clients we share any information you provide to us with that client.
31. We may also be under a duty to disclose your personal data as part of our legal or regulatory obligations. We may need to disclose data to third parties in order to comply with those requirements or to prevent fraud or money laundering or to enforce any agreement we have with you.
32. We will also be entitled to disclose confidential information to our insurers (for the purposes of our professional indemnity insurance and in the context of notifications under our policy), our auditors, and any other third party to the extent required by law or regulation, or where we consider it appropriate to ensure the successful implementation of your instructions.
33. Unless required to do so by law, we will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the personal information you provide to us without your consent.
34. In certain circumstances your personal data may be transferred outside the European Economic Area (EEA) where data protection legislation may not offer the same protection as within the EEA. If you would prefer that we did not transfer your personal data outside the EEA please write to the partner responsible for your work.
PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
35. We follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of personal information to prevent unauthorised access or unlawful processing of your personal information. We keep your information confidential and store it on a secure server which is password protected and hidden behind a firewall.
36. We have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we have collected from you.
37. For more information about our information security policy contact The Security Manager through IS@shoosmiths.co.uk.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL DATA
38. ‘Personal Data’ is defined as data which relates to living individual who can be identified from that data.
39. You have the right to access personal data we hold about you on payment of a fee of £10 and subject to some exceptions. If you would like to obtain this data please contact the Data Protection Officer, Shoosmiths LLP, 2 Colmore Square,38 Colmore Circus Queensway, Birmingham, B4 6SH in writing stating what data you require. It would be helpful if you would include the words ‘Data Protection Act’ or ‘Subject Access Request’ in the heading of your letter.
40. If we do hold personal information about you in a relevant filing system and if we are able to disclose this, the subject access request will be complied with within 40 days from receipt of all of the following: a completed application form, the required fee and the necessary information to confirm the identity of the person making the request.